Friday, September 28, 2007

Slave To The Business

I was talking to a couple that own a business. Their lives are so consumed with the business that their social life evolves around the business. I know owning a business can suck the owner into a form of slavery to that business. This is what I saw, as I spoke with this couple.

In our high pressured society a business owner has to be on top of every little detail. If not those details will get out of control. However, there must be a time for family.

Many years ago, I had my first business. I became a slave to it. I had lost my marriage. My wife, at the time, told me she was kicking me out, and wanted a divorce. She did it by writing me a note, then put it in my Day Timer. It was three days before I saw it. That is being a slave and consumed!

Whatever stage of growth a business is in, there must be time to spent outside of the business. It is a struggle, fight, a near impossible task, but it must be done.

No comments: