Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Passion For Internet Security

My passion, my work, and my life is not just to get through x number of years and die. I want to make a difference in people lives. For most of my life that difference has been on the negative side. Now I want those I come in contact leave in a better state.

Yesterday, as the result of a call for help, I sent out an email to over a hundred people about a old internet scam that was resurrected infecting computers. It was putting popups on the monitor telling people their computer was infected and they needed to buy their software to get the infection clean. After the money was paid the popup would go away with a more hidden piece of spyware would be installed on the computer.

Last night I got an email that I had sold some premium security software to someone I do not know. In a city that I have not been. Recommended by a company I know very little. I felt good that I have that level of influence.

It is not building my reputation, or fame. I want to see people safe when they open the web browser to reach out on the Internet. It is no different than a city's chamber of commerce group pointing out the good place to eat and shop when you visit a their city. I just want to be that tour guide, pointing out the good and bad of the Internet. Giving some safety tips along the way.

No comments: