Saturday, September 22, 2007

Listen

  • Listen to what a customer has to say.

  • Listen to what your friends are saying.

  • Listen to what your wife or husband is saying.

  • Listen to what your children are saying.

  • Listen to the voice of God.
The is a lot to be learned from just listening to those around you. These is a lot of wisdom. They may possibly be telling how to avoid a train wreck.

This week I was asked to do a bid for an upgrade of a server and 10 workstations. I spent over an hour listening and asking question of the contact person, employees, and owner. At the same time I was taking notes. Then I went home to do the bid.

It took me about 3 hours over a 12+ hour period to put the bid together. The first step was to put together a bid on what they asked. The second step was to review what each group was not saying. Compare it to the bid then make additions or adustments. The third step was to review how each person at the site made their comments to me.

You see it was more than listening to words, it was listening to how and when the words were said, along with the tone of voice. In my limited knowledge, I hoped to gained understanding of how each person networked with and without computers. This way I could tune my work to be the best fit for them.

No comments: