Thursday, September 06, 2007

Another Case Why To Backup

Listening is very important. Not just to the words a person is saying, but to the meaning behind those words.

I received a phone call from a client who was upset. A few days before I was asked to clean dead and unused files from his computer. His voice, over the phone, was very angry. I had deleted some files that was important to him. He said that I had deleted all his invoices and mailing list.

I rushed over there. He was a little more calmer when I walked through the door. Now he was telling me there was only a couple of files he could not find.

Then I turned to him and asked for his memory stick with his backups. He looked at me with a blank look. After a couple of minutes he came from his office with it. I plugged it in the USB drive and produced the files he thought he had lost.

Yes, I did listen to him completely, before I started deleting files. When we scheduled the appointment, I asked him to do a back up of all his important files. This is another case for how important it is to back up regularly. If he had not backup those files they would have been lost.

No comments: