Thursday, December 06, 2007

Mall Shooter or Hero - Our Young People

A 19 year old gun goes on a shooting rampage in a mall in Omaha, Nebraska. Cnn honors 3 teenagers for doing outstanding work in their community. Five college students are arrested for assault in Pullman Washington. A 7 year old girl steps in front of a gunman to take bullets meant for her mom.

What makes the difference in our young people?


I believe every parent asks themselves this same question. Books have been written to help parents to raise better children. Yet we still have children that bring shame to our lives. Then it seems like the neighbors child is the shining star.

I have three children with quite a spread in age range. I know there are a few factors that make a big difference in their attitudes.
  1. My attitudes and maturity as they were growing up.
  2. My level of involvement in their school work when they were growing up.
  3. My involvement with the things they like to do.
  4. The way I communicated my expectations to them.
Reading my list you may think I take sole responsibility for the way they are living their lives. I do not. They make their own decisions. I am a mere guide to help them make their decisions, good or bad.

What is your parenting philosophy?



No comments: