Thursday, December 20, 2007

Eric Volz Helpless Behind Bars

Eric Volz is the prime example of being in another country, helpless because that country does not hold to the same legal values as we do. Thinking about Eric tightens my stomach with fear.

Eric Volz sits in a Nicaraguan prison with their court system saying release him. The sentencing judge and proscuter are not willing to release him. After a higher Nicaraguan court ordered his release, the sentencing judge hid out until the proscuter could file for an appeal of the higher court ruling.

I seriously doubt that Eric Volz will stay in Nicaragua. He will most likely leave the country to never return again. Instead this judge and friends wants to keep him there at the cost to the Nicaraguan people. It is like they are saying, We want to keep and make Eric suffer, because we like it.

I have heard enough horror stories about Americans in jail around the world. It has made me fearful to travel to abroad. I was afraid that I would be stuck in jail away from loved ones. The reason was I said or did something that offend the people in the country I was visiting.

Tell me about your experiences. What do you think about this subject?

No comments: