Friday, December 28, 2007

Bankruptcy?

Bankruptcy is one option. This is one option I did not want to consider. Guilt, shame and depression was what was I was feeling as got up the courage to make some phone calls. I had to call over five places. We could afford a lawyer. I had to find another alternative. Finally I found help through a place called Self Help Legal.

From the time I called to the time I walked into their office was about two hours. I met with a large man behind a desk. He did everything to relieve my fears and anxiety. He told me that close of this year about 2,000 people would be filing for bankruptcy in southern Idaho. Just the fact we were not alone, relieved my anxiety.

I spent over an hour with this para legal. The one inch stack of forms, he set in front of me, got less intimidating as we went through them page and line by line. I paid him $200, because that was all I had in my pocket. I still had to come up with another $400 to cover his time and filing costs. When I left, I felt that this was the way we had to go to keep from ending up on the streets or in jail.

Later that day, when I told my wife what I had done. She just looked at me and smiled. Later that night I asked how she felt about going to seek help for bankruptcy. She told me that she was first angry with the world for us having to do it. Then she had to accept how bad off we were financially. Now she was feeling better. She said that she knows it is the right thing to do.

So this weekend I got to go through the box of bills, sort through them and fill out the bankruptcy forms. This if the first time in a long time I was able look at the box. Now I feel we are really climbing out of this whole.

1 comment:

maddy said...

Nice to look forward on to this site. I got more information about bankruptcy.


========================


maddy

http://www.shepelskylaw.com