Friday, March 09, 2007

The Ever Shrinking Hard Drive

When hard drives got to 1 Gigabyte, I thought that they would never be enough information on a personal computer to fill it up. When hard drives reached 10 Gigabytes, I said that was all I needed to storage space. When I installed a 80 Gigabyte hard drive, I didn't expect to need anything larger.

Well, today I am watching the amount of free space on my hard drive slowly shrinking. I have an 80 Gig. It is partitioned into a 45 (is my C drive) and 35 (is my D drive). The 45 Gigabyte partition is my operating system and programs. The 35 Gigabyte partition is used for storage of pictures, documents and other data. The 45 Gigabyte partition is 78% full and shrinking.

Over the last week or so, I have deleted files, programs from my C drive. Still it is shrinking. I am forced to re-evaluate the program that is on my C drive and delete even more. Those programs that are nice to have, but I rarely use are going to have to go.

I tell friends and clients that if their hard drive gets over 75% full it is time to upgrade. Well, I do not want to upgrade to a larger hard drive. I don't more storage space. I just have to learn to use what I have more efficiently.

No comments: