Friday, July 06, 2007

Pole Climbing

Several years ago, I attended a personal development workshop along the beach of Santa Cruz, CA. One of the growth exercises was to climb a pole and stand on top of it.

It was quite safe. We had helmets, and climbing harnesses. So if we fell we would just hang from the rope and climbing harness.

I got only half way up the pole before I froze in fear. I could not finish the exercise. My fear of heights had overtaken me. My failure was video taped to be a reminder to everyone else who took that course. I left that seminar as an example of loser that gives into their fears.

Today, I am forced to face my fears of failure. I can not afford to be an example of failure. I can not accept anything less than conquering my fears and get to the top of that pole.

No comments: