Saturday, May 26, 2007

Ignorance Is NOT Bliss

Periodically, I find a computer that is so infected. Like yesterday, I was to install a simple accounting program, but I kept getting errors. I knew something was wrong, by what I was told did not verify what I was experiencing with that computer. Well, several hours later, revealed 900+ infected files with a viruses types , and 4 root kits.

The root cause of the infection is obvious. Microsoft and all computer security experts agree on the three basics. Anti virus program, a bi-directional firewall, and keeping software updated. In the last few years one more piece of security has been added. An anti-spyware program was added because of the increase use of the internet.

All of these facts are well published and preached. However, these are people thinking by ignoring the experts advice. When faced with the results of their actions, their face turns red. I have trouble having compassion for computer users who continue to ignore the reality/responsibility of having a computer.

No comments: