Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Spam Me, Spam You


Over the last few weeks, I have been seeing an unprecedented about of spam and phishing emails. Old phishing email frauds and a few news ones done by obvious amateurs. I am worried that someone is falling for those emails otherwise spammers would not be sending out their spam.

I start to wonder if I am getting better at finding them and tracing their origin or the phishing email spammers are becoming more careless.

This past week I was at a customers home, where he was showing me some of the email he was getting. They were obviously phishing/spam email. They were sent out to several email address of the same internet service provider.

I was able to trace the source to a server in California. Being close to Halloween, I was tempted to send a denial of service attack on that server, for sending out such email. When I cooled down, I realized that would only aggravate them. The only way I could really, hurt them was notified that internet service provider. They cut off the spammer and started to tighten up their security.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

No comments: