Monday, September 18, 2006

326 Days - Time to Get Tough On Computer Users!

I received a call from a customer, who it had been about a year since I had looked at his computer. When I arrive the customer greeted me with the usual warmth of a hand shake and smile.

After I was led me to their computer, I set down in front of the computer and proceeded to go through my usual checks. The symptoms kept pointing to spyware or a Trojan issue. I open the spyware program. Then I checked for the last up date. To my shock it was 326 days since it had ran a scan or updated.

It is people like this customer, who did not take the time to verify that his spyware program was update and performing the needed scans that can promote the spread of malicious software. When I say malicious software I am talking about any computer program that reduces the operation or takes the control of the computer from the owner.

Maybe, it is time we need to get tough on computer user. Make them take responsibility for their actions. We hold car owners and truck drivers for the fitness of their vehicles’. These malicious programs are costing us millions and billions of dollars in damage. It is past time to get tough. A computer user needs to be held responsible for the malicious programs control his or her computer will put in danger other computers, networks, and websites to attack.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

No comments: