Sunday, July 02, 2006

Web Economics

Free programs that we all download from Major Geeks, Softpedia, to Cnet.com are great. Free web forums like Lockergrome, Leoville to PC Magazine help us find answers to our computer problems. However, who is paying the bills for electricity to power the servers that provide these services? What about technical people who do the programming and monitoring? How do they put the food on the tables for their families? Where does all the money come from that pay for these very useful services?

I dislike banner ads and pop ups as much as the next person. Nevertheless, this is the how the free web services are supported. The free services from particular websites I use make it my obligation to click on their ads and buy what I need through them.

The websites I visit on a regularly basis have companies that advertise on that site. I figure they must be a web stores that can be trusted. If it is not the case then that website webmaster must be informed that an advertiser of their’s is has less than honest business dealing.

No comments: