Monday, June 19, 2006

Stop Spamming Me

  • There are many good anti-spam software tools out there. Outlook and Mozilla have built in them a spam folder and block list. Still the best protection is to practice a few basic Safe Computer Habits that won’t get you on a spammers list from the beginning.

    I tested my theory with two free email addresses. The first email address I would use when asked for an email address from some website. The second email address was used just to send receive email to some friends who I know to practice Safe Computer Habits. Within a month the first email address was receiving over a 100 pieces of spam a day. The second may receive on piece of spam a week.

    All I did was practice the following four habits.
  • Don't buy from spammers. The bottom line of Spammers is money. If you buy something from them makes them think you will buy more stuff from them.
  • Don't unsubscribe from a spammer's list. Unsubscribing from a spammer's list will only get you more spam. You got to remember that Spammers don’t have any moral. All they want to do is get you to buy what they are selling.
  • Don't use your primary email address to sign up for anything. I have a free email address that I use when I sign up for newsletter, or anything else that might put me on a Spammers list.
  • Treat unknown e-mail as spam. If I don't know you, then you got to give me a good reason to read your e-mail. I get more email than the average person, so there has to be a good reason for me not to delete it when it comes to my inbox.

No comments: